Wednesday, November 13, 2013

ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY: This is Not My Hat



This is Not My Hat, is was one of my favorite picture books from my annotated bibliography. It is the comical story of a small fish that finds a little blue hat that fits him perfectly. The fish knows the hat is not his but swims off with it anyways. He is sure the enormous fish, who is the rightful owner of the hat, will not wake up any time soon. Even if he did he probably wouldn’t know what happened. Unfortunately for the little fish, the enormous fish wakes up and knows exactly what happened. 


This is Not My Hat is a funny story. It was fun to read and had amazing illustrations. I enjoyed it and can see why it is an award winner. It reminds me of a bedtime story, something a young child could easily memorize and start reading it with their parents the third or fourth time they hear it. I would use this book in my classroom if I taught a grade under second, but I disagree with scholastic and don’t see this book being appropriate for third, fourth, or fifth grade. I think those grade would find it too predictable, or too childish.I can see This is Not My Hat as a silly way to teach a lesson about taking what does not belong to you.

I would use this book for different literacy skills, or a science lesson on plant habitats. This book is written is first person. You could first have students identify how it was written and then re-write or restate it in third person. It is such a short story which would make that assignment simple, it could even be a center during the literacy block. Another literacy topic to cover with this book is predictions. The illustrations give lots of foreshadowing. Kindergartens and first graders should be able to make concrete predictions about the events in This is Not My Hat during a read aloud.

The final literacy strategy I would incorporate is visualizing. The last few pages show only the weeds of the sea and the big fish coming out with the hat that is rightfully his. The story does not tell or show how he got the hat from the little fish. Students of any grade can picture what to place behind the see grass. The teacher could have the students draw a picture, write a few sentences, or both. It would be great practice for an important reading strategy. More literacy strategies and examples at http://www.teachingideas.co.uk/library/books/thisisnotmyhat.htm

      

No comments:

Post a Comment